The Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center is seeking a BioMER Research Assistant to serve as a member of the Biospecimen Procurement and Molecular Epidemiology Resource's (BioMER) Translational Research team. Supporting translational/observational study subject recruitment, data abstraction and related project activities at the University of Iowa's Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center. Individual in this role will work with team to facilitate activities related to scheduling patients for 'Research Consultations,' approaching patients for consent to a variety of research protocols and abstracting related data from the Electronic Health Record for BioMER managed studies including multi-center collaborations and registries. Additional activities may support collection, processing and storage of research specimens as needed. Duties to include:
Enrollment Focused Role Data Management Focused Role
- Create, populate, maintain, and enhance multiple databases containing clinical and research information obtained through the review of patient charts and samples, lab reports and other related information in a manner that complies with IRB requirements and research needs.
- Consult with translational staff and researchers in development of data management plan.
- Assist in the development of electronic data capture forms to facilitate abstraction of required data for assigned projects.
- Perform data abstraction, criteria-specific or focused chart review per project protocol for on-going and ad-hoc studies as directed.
- Work with team to carry-out strategies to update and refine both legacy and prospectively entered data.
- Assist in judging validity of data; making recommendations for change as opportunities for improvement are identified in close collaboration with the translational staff and investigators.
- Assist in coordinating collection and processing of biospecimens as needed, including communication with internal and external labs.
- Assist in the design, development, and execution and specimen processes for protocols and clinical studies.
- Assist in the preparation of data summaries and other information for use by faculty and staff in preparation for reports, publications or presentations.
- Attend protocol meetings and other UIHC meetings as appropriate and related to the BioMER and related activities.
- Conduct, and monitor patient informed consent to ensure compliance with Institutional Review Board (IRB) regulations.
- Meet one-on-one with patients to complete consent process, maintaining confidentiality, goodwill, and sensitivity.
- Participate in determination of patient eligibility for participation in translational studies.
- Work with Lead Consent Coordinator to monitor consent flow and provide regular updates to relevant staff including clinic, intake, physicians/providers, specimen procurement and research team members.
- Collect and enter required subject enrollment and screening data in required data collection tools including EPIC, Labmatrix, REDCap, OnCore and other study related databases.
- Consult with managers, staff and physicians to support improvement activities and organizational initiatives.
- Performs additional task, special functions and/or special projects as assigned
≥ 75 % Consent related activities
15 % Data and specimen management
10 % Meetings and other tasks as assigned
≥ 70 % Data and specimen management
50 % Consene related activities
10 % Meetings and other tasks as assignedSUPERVISION RECEIVED:
Supervision provided by the Manager for Translational Research Services; Functional direction provided by Translational Team Leads. SUPERVISION EXERCISED:
Functional direction may be provided over assigned support staff.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center is Iowa's only NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center. The NCI designation recognized our cancer center, and its research scientist, physicians, and other health care professionals, for their roles in advancing cancer research that impacts on our ability to prevent, detect and treat our patients with cancer. Not just a floor, or a building, or even confined to a single college. Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center coordinates all cancer-related research, education, and patient care by faculty from 41 departments and six colleges, as well as UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Children's Hospital.UI Health Care Core Values (WECARE)W
We strive for an environment where everyone has a voice that is heard, that promotes the dignity of our patients, trainees, and employees, and allows all to thrive in their health, work, research, and education. E
We aim to achieve and deliver our personal and collective best in the pursuit of quality and accessible healthcare, education, and research. C
We encourage collaboration with healthcare systems, providers, and communities across Iowa and the region, as well as within our UI community. We believe teamwork - guided by compassion - is the best way to work. A
We behave ethically, act with fairness and integrity, take responsibility for our own actions, and respond when errors in behavior or judgement occur. R
We are committed to ensuring the UI Health Care is an inclusive environment where individuals from the full spectrum of diversity - which includes identity, backgrounds, cultures, ability, and perspective - feel safe, seen and valued. E
We dedicate ourselves to equity and fairness in research, health care, education, and health.Percent of Time:
100% Pay Grade:
https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/guide-pay-plans Benefits Highlights:
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in computer software applications.
- Ability to manage complex information with attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Six months to one year experience in customer service and/or in a health care setting
- Relevant experience in the conduct of both clinical and/or laboratory research studies.
- Experience with clinical research applications such OnCore, REDCap or Labmatrix.
- Experience with medical terminology.
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and procedures.
- Knowledge of University of Iowa policies, procedures, and regulations.
In order to be considered, applicants must upload a Resume and cover letter
(under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
With additional questions, please reach out to Sarah Waldschmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Classification Title: Clin Trials Rsrch Asst/Data Mg
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Sarah Waldschmidt
- Contact Email: email@example.com