GENERALSUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
TheChordoma Research Program at Massachusetts general is seeking a clinicalresearch assistant with an understanding of data analytics and an interest inpatient care. As part of the Radiation Oncology Department, the Chordoma ResearchProgram aims to provide data on this rare tumor from review of patients treatedwith proton therapy, enrolled on previous completed prospective trials and newpatients referred for treatment.
Theposition requires the applicant to be comfortable working directly withpatients in a clinical environment; maintaining and utilizing an electronicdatabase; communicating and coordinating with different health care providersand support staff; designing research projects and conducting analysesindependently; and managing administrative responsibilities including patientappointment coordination, record-keeping, and continuing reviews.
Theideal applicant would work well in a dynamic team environment, have abackground or relevant coursework in biology with an interest in the medicalfield, have strong written and verbal communication skills.
PRINCIPALDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicatekey areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and keyobjectives for this position. Theseitems should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the writtenannual evaluation.
- Under supervision of the PI, coordinates the implementation, both internally and externally, of sponsored clinical research studies.
- Collects and organizes patient data, may initiates, and maintain contact with study participants.
- Once trained, loading of images/notes to Epic from paper charts
- Assist in the building and modification of RedCap databaseincluding chordoma and chondrosarcoma patients, both pediatric and adult
- For previously completed prospective trial, contact physicians'offices to obtain a more recent fu on patients enrolled in the clinical trial.
- For patients treated since 12/2018, identify all these patientsand add to a spreadsheet that we will update weekly.
- For future NCI joint project, fill in the forms on pediatricchordoma patients
- Develops, organizes, and/or maintains study databases. Responsible for data entry and quality control of data. May conduct basic data processing and statistical analysis of data.
- In conjunction with the PI, develops, and under the direction of project manager, assists with writing, and implementation of new research protocols including design, data collection systems and institutional review board approval (IRB). May contribute to changes to research protocols.
- Performs literature searches as appropriate.
- Assists PI with preparation of slide presentations, poster boards, and research articles.
Performs all other duties as assigned.Qualifications
Successful candidatemust possess basic computer skills in order to use a variety of electronicsystems to access and/or maintain personal employment-related data,satisfy required annual trainings, and use job-specific applications.
- Ability to work independently under the supervision of the study PI and/ or program manager.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical or research problems and issues, and to interpret the acceptability of data results.
- Strong and proactive interpersonal skills are required for working with the study participants and working as a member of a highly integrated team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of clinical research protocols.
- High degree of computer literacy Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Windows OS; R or MATLAB skills preferred.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects' rights and individual needs.
LICENSES,CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable): Specify minimum credentials and clearlyindicate if preferred or required
EDUCATION: Specify minimum education and clearlyindicate if preferred or required
HS Diploma orequivalent. Bachelors preferred
EXPERIENCE:Specify minimum creditable years of experience and clearly indicate if preferredor required
Atleast one year of work experience in a research setting preferred. Soundindependent judgment and competence in research methodologies preferred.Previous experience working with patients or in a healthcare setting stronglypreferred.
SUPERVISORYRESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): List thenumber of FTEs supervised.
FISCALRESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): Indicatefinancial "scope" information, i.e.: size of budget, volume, revenue, etc.;Indicate total physician/non-physician FTE scope
WORKINGCONDITIONS: Describe the conditions in which the work is performed.
- Duties will be performed in an office and outpatient clinic setting
- Up to 40 hr/week