University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Hospital Administration is seeking a Director, Strategic Business Planning. The role will work in collaboration with the Chief Strategy Officer to lead and facilitate strategic and tactical planning for UI Health Care. This position advises clinical and administrative leaders on how to value, structure, and execute strategic initiatives based on knowledge of market trends, key economic levers, and operations. This role will lead a team in the development of detailed business plans, pro forma financial expectations, marketing strategies, resource/capability requirements, and dashboards/balanced scorecards to measure performance including volume, quality, and financial indicators.
Duties to include:
• Conceptualize, coordinate, and lead initiatives to enhance the competitive position of UI Health Care and ensure timeliness of responses to changes in market and industry dynamics.
• Responsible for organizing and directing strategic planning efforts across UI Health Care, including integrating clinical service line activities with business development/network development efforts.
• Work collaboratively with clinical department leadership, system leadership, clinicians, and operators to identify opportunities to add value to existing programs; act as a strategic thought partner by contributing innovative ideas and approaches to improve system, department, and service line results.
• Develop models to support decision-making related to complex business issues including new service line development analysis, current service line portfolio analysis, financial viability of new opportunities, and impacts of regulatory changes; complete complex analysis of business opportunities in support of development efforts with minimal support.
• Provides comprehensive strategic and financial information, analysis, and advice to optimize use of the organization's resources.
• Remain current on industry trends, market events, and regulatory issues that affect the organization and assist in reporting implications to leadership, including impacts on system/service line performance and planned strategic initiatives.
• Provide leadership, oversight, and technical support to staff on initiatives related to strategic planning.
• Function not only as a subject matter expert, manager of teams, and provider of project direction, but also as a consultant capable of delivery of work.
Business Plan Development
• Author strategic plans and/or business plans to support the successful attainment of organizational, operational, and clinical service goals.
• Lead a team of professionals in partnering with other organizational leaders to develop written plans that contain goals, objectives, relevant market/performance/economic data, measures of success, and methods for evaluating performance to plans.
• Coordinates efforts across multiple areas to assess and finalize business development efforts, such as clinical operations, financial/accounting, due diligence, legal, reimbursement, regulatory and compliance, information technology, human resources, marketing, and other areas, as needed.
• Plans for key resources required for the organization to achieve its goals. Supports organization and program leaders in conceptualizing, prioritizing, and planning new programs or program changes.
• Contribute to the development of assumptions and economic levers for financial pro formas related to potential service line/program growth, joint venture, acquisition, and other initiatives and successfully communicate them to partners.
• Develop and communicate an understanding of key dependencies, execution risks, or additional opportunities involved in proposed plans.
• Demonstrate outstanding leadership in developing staff to meet the needs of UI Health Care.
• Set goals with staff in keeping with the organizational goals and support the development of staff through the identification of appropriate training and educational opportunities.
• Develop robust and collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders and support functions internally and externally to result in the successful completion of growth initiatives, strategic partnerships, and other assignments.
• Maintain close working relationships at all levels of the organization to ensure the quality of planning deliverables and to synchronize strategic / service line plans with operational and financial planning.
• Master's degree in a relevant field such as Business Administration or Health Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Seven years of progressive responsibility in such areas as hospital administration, provider strategic planning, business and operations planning.
• Proven success in the facilitation of strategic processes, business plan development and execution, and strategic analyses. Experience achieving results in a large, complex organization.
• Advanced analytical, planning, and problem-solving skills. Ability to conduct strategic analysis, inclusive of the development of financial models and internal/external research to support business decisions. Ability to deal with a multiplicity of complex situations simultaneously.
• Demonstrated knowledge of healthcare market research, program development, business modeling and marketing, including experience preparing detailed business plans and pro formas.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications
• Demonstrated experience working effectively in a diverse environment
• Ten years of progressive management experience; leadership of major clinical operations preferred.
• Experience with an academic medical center or multi-regional health system.
Application Process: To be considered, applicants must upload a cover letter and resume (under the submission of relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification.
Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. For questions, contact Sharon Walther at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
IR Senior Imaging Technologist/ Imaging Technologist - Radiology ($12,500 Sign-on Incentive) - For Hires New to UIUniversity of Iowa
Nuclear Medicine Technologist/ Senior Nuclear Medicine Technologist (PET) ($5,000 Sign-on Incentive) - For Hires New to UIUniversity of Iowa
Subscribe to job alerts and upload your resume!
*By registering with our site, you agree to our