ART MUSEUM (BL-AMUS-IUBLA)
Since its establishment in 1941, the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art has grown from a small university teaching collection into one of the foremost university art museums in the country. A preeminent teaching museum, its internationally acclaimed collection, ranging from ancient gold jewelry and African masks to paintings by Claude Monet and Pablo Picasso, includes more than 45,000 objects representing nearly every art-producing culture throughout history.
The Eskenazi Museum of Art recently completed a $30 million renovation of its acclaimed I. M. Pei designed building. The newly renovated museum will be an enhanced teaching resource for Indiana University and southern Indiana. Positioning the institution as a premier teaching museum requires breakthrough programming, experiences, and storytelling that advance its mission in powerful ways. In support of these goals, the museum seeks an intuitive, reliable, attentive, and detail-oriented individual with strong communication and customer service skills to fill the position of Security and Guest Services Associate.
Security and Guest Service Associates will lead by example as great ambassadors for the museum.
Department Specific Responsibilities
- Responsible for safeguarding the people and property/collection of the Eskenazi Museum of Art from theft/damage while ensuring an outstanding guest experience.
- Helps all guests, clients, vendors, and museum employees to understand and comply with museum guidelines and polices in a manner that ensures an outstanding guest experience.
- Works in internal/external facing roles for Eskenazi Museum of Art, including all areas of the Museum, offsite monitoring facilities, and other areas of campus per operational requirements of the department.
- Provides support and occasional supervision for PT Guest Services Associates.
- Works at an EMA Security monitoring station as Security Panel Operators for all shifts 24/7 365 and perform other tasks as assigned or apparent.
- Patrols grounds, building interiors or stands post at an assigned location. Protects university assets against theft, vandalism or unauthorized use or entrance of property.
- Monitors rooms, offices, corridors, galleries, public access and service areas. Ensures doors and building entrances are locked and/or unlocked at designated times.
- Tests alarm systems; investigates tripped alarms and unusual or suspicious activity; may keep routine logs or prepare reports.
- Involves law enforcement agencies when necessary; assists with investigations. Assists police, fire and medical personnel during emergencies.
- Assists patrons and visitors with directions or information; responds to calls for service and provides safety escorts as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Fluency in multiple langues
- 1 year in a safety or security related field or customer service environment
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATESRequired
- Possess a valid driver's license with the ability to be insured by Indiana University.
- CPR certified Upon Hire
- AED certified Upon Hire
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and communicate with a wide variety of individuals.
- Ability to stand or walk for extended periods.
- Ability to accurately recall events witnessed visually and translate to written documentation.
- Ability to perform duties in tense or stressful situations and deal with distressed individuals.
- Ability to use electronic communications devices.
- Knowledge of emergency preparedness.
- Ability to be trained in the following areas may apply: - Hazardous materials recognition and handling- Incident Command- NIMS 100, 200, and 700 (National Incident Management System mandated by DHS/Dept. Homeland Security)- Emergency first aid to include CPR & AED - Traffic control- Radiation safety training and alarm response - Respirator N95 training and air born hazards
Working Conditions / Demands
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Outlook
- Ability to learn use of specialized security software
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Ability to coordinate well with all stakeholders in all settings
The employee in this position will have excellent communication skills.The role frequently requires the ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. This position is very active and requires moving about the workspace and ascending/descending stairs or ladders. The role requires frequently moves objects that weigh up to 50 pounds.The role requires the ability to position self to move at lower levels. The role requires the ability to detect items in close proximity as well as far away; discern between colors; detect objects in peripheral space; discern items in detail; and to have good depth perception. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Eskenazi Museum of Art
Bloomington, IndianaWork Hours
Evening, weekend, and occasional overnight work will be required.Job Classification
Career Level: Foundational
Job Function: Legal, Safety, & Protection
Job Family: Public Safety
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us