High School Advisor
Start Date: Oct 30, 2023
Salary: $58,500 annually
Bank Street College
Liberty LEADS High School Advisor
Liberty LEADS is a NYC-based college access - high school completion program that has served over 200 underrepresented children between 5th and 12th grade each year since 1989. Liberty LEADS was founded to empower youth by helping them attain higher education, embrace leadership engagement, and create a positive future for themselves and others. Liberty LEADS provides an alternative learning environment in which young people can experience success as learners and increase their ability and motivation to graduate from high school and seek entry into postsecondary education and/or meaningful employment. The program is guided by the principle that all children have gifts, talents, and great potential and can contribute to one another's social and academic growth.
We are looking for a passionate individual who can work in a collaborative team environment and is invested in connecting and supporting children and families. The ideal High School Advisor is flexible, creative and is dedicated to helping families and children develop and succeed academically, socially and emotionally. The High School Advisor will report to the Director and Program Coordinator (Task Supervisor).
Direct Service Responsibilities
- Meet with students and families and register students.
- Create individual student schedules, personal learning and behavior management plans
- Responsible for students' regular participation to insure retention.
- Conduct daily outreach to students and families, via phone calls, emails, text messages, and apps like Remind.
- Counsel students on academic progress to understand each student's academic strengths and areas of support.
- Lead or teach after school/Saturday/summer classes for grades 5th-12th.
- Meet with parents (one on one and in groups) on a regular basis to support the students' development
- Responsible for helping students' promotion to the next grade.
- Build relationships and meet with guidance counselors, teachers and school personnel in order to advocate for students in schools.
- Meet with and assist students and families with the college admission process to ensure students apply to "right fit" schools that align to the student's strengths, interests and needs.
- Gather student data, such as report cards, progress reports, evaluations, teachers notes..
- Enter daily attendance, outreach and direct service information using Liberty software, FileMaker database.
- Maintain and update student educational records (digital and hard copy) with the assistance of the Program Coordinator and Data Associate.
- Coordinate planning and implementation of the afterschool/Saturday/summer programming
- Support in recruiting , interviewing, hiring , training part time staff.
- Assist Program Coordinator on supervising and supporting part time staff.
- Assist in preparing reports for the New York State Education Department and other funding sources.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and participate in other meetings at Bank Street College and externally as needed.
- Develop lesson planning and curriculum for classes.
- Maintain and collaborate relations with Bank Street College community
2 or more years experience working with high school children
Experience with the NYC public school system
Experience in an out of school time setting
Experience with the NYC college application process
Bachelors in Education, Special Education, Social Work, Counseling or other related field preferred
Bilingual Spanish Prefered
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Ana Lisa Tiburcio
Director, Liberty LEADS Program
firstname.lastname@example.orgNotice to Applicant: COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
We appreciate your interest in employment at Bank Street College of Education. We would like to note that the College has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
For additional information regarding our policy on the COVID-19 vaccination, click .
This job has expired.