As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
Receiving general direction from the Director of Human Resources, this position is responsible for the management, organization, and quality of Human Resources services provided to a workforce of approximately 7,000 - 10,000 employees located in a variety of departments and sites.
The Manager, HR will work effectively as a member of the MGH HR management team to review, revise and maintain a strong HR delivery division; will advise and partner with MGH management and central HR services, as appropriate, concerning a variety of routine, complex and often sensitive Human Resources issues. Other members of the MGH HR Management team include: the SVP, Director, Manager HR Operations, Director of Talent Acquisition, Director of Employee Education and Leadership, Manager of Professional Staff Benefits and Manager of Employee Communications.
The HR Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day provision of comprehensive HR services. Working closely with the Director of HR and in support of senior Hospital leadership, the HR Manager develops and administers all HR programs, policies, procedures and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the Hospital for his/her team.
As a member of the MGH HR management team, the HR Manager is responsible for the coordination and implementation of HR services, productivity and standards ensuring on-going development of a superior workforce.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for the direct management and selection, orientation, training, evaluation of performance, and development of team of Business Partners.
2. Maintains and measures staff competencies and departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of the Hospital's goals and the most effective HR service delivery.
3. Responsible for providing direct guidance and oversight to HR Business Partners with employee relations, organizational development, compensation, and training as needed.
4. Responsible for coordinating and implementing HR services; monitors performance and adherence to established standards and procedures; identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves any discrepancies.
5. Assists with the development of HR policies regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation, and employee benefits. Communicates and interprets Human Resources policies and practices to employees and/or management staff.
6. Develops and maintains strong business partnerships with Hospital leadership. Advises Hospital leadership on HR and organizational issues including but not limited to performance management, employee relations, change management, and employee engagement.
7. Establishes knowledge of the business goals and activities of the customer base and applies Human Resources policies and practices to increase workforce effectiveness.
8. Collaborates with the Staffing, Workforce Training, and Patient Care HR Teams towards the goal of exceptional recruitment and retention outcomes.
9. Translates high-level organizational goals into clear directions that engage HR and hospital staff. Directs initiatives and processes with the organization.
10. Develops and maintains strong partnerships with a variety of centralized functions including Compensation, Employee Relations, Benefits, Payroll, and Employee Records.
11. Works with HR team to develop, negotiate, measure, and ensure exceptional service contracts with customers.
12. Represents HR and the Hospital on a variety of internal and external committees.
13. Participates in the development and administration of policies and procedures, and drives execution of best practices.
14. Ensures compliance with various Federal and State laws in support of EEO, ADA, FMLA, etc.
15. Supports the Joint Commission, DPH and other regulatory audit efforts.
16. Participates in Hospital-wide and HR-level preparedness for surveys by regulatory bodies such as Joint Commission, CMS,
17. Ensures compliance with various laws such as EEOC, FLSA, ADA, etc.
• Demonstrates a strong knowledge of theories, principals, and concepts normally acquired through completion BS with MS in healthcare field preferred and 8 years of progressively more responsible consulting and HR management experience required.
• Very strong and demonstrated understanding of Joint Commission standards with extensive Joint Commission survey experience required. Project management skills preferred.
• Proficient in using computer software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe as well as HRIS databases. People Soft and SharePoint experience strongly preferred.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written), including public speaking to facilitate training sessions, lead discussion groups, present to management.
• Ability to understand complex organizations; demonstrated political savvy.
• Strong project management skills
• Ability to work independently; with all levels and within a strong team environment.
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, often under time pressures.
• Ability to function independently and effectively.
• Flexible, willingness to change gears and / or jump in" on a project without any advanced notice (as Joint Commission surveys are unannounced).
• Sense of humor.
• Ability to deal tactfully and persuasively with a wide variety of staff including Senior Executives, Managers, employees, and others.
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability in training, facilitation, and problem solving in a complex environment.
• Ability to make logical decisions independently and ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Communicate pertinent information to appropriate persons in a timely manner
Skills, Abilities, Competencies Required
• Must be able to demonstrate proven commitment to exceptional customer service and be results oriented
• Demonstrated ability to manage and succeed in a high pace/high volume environment.
• Prior experience that demonstrates an understanding of business functions and metrics with the organization and within the healthcare industry.
• Solid understanding of HR policies, procedures, practices, and knowledge of state and federal labor and employment laws.
• Strong facilitation, consensus-building, and listening skills. Experience with problem solving, conflict resolution, and decision-making while addressing complex and sensitive employee relations issues.
• Proven ability to partner with leadership and provide direct and indirect (via Business Partner) guidance to organizational stakeholders on a variety of issues in a highly complex environment.
• Ability to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of a problem before taking action; comfort with developing alternative courses of action.
• Must have outstanding communication skills, ability to work independently, and manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously.
o Understanding of and ability to work in complex organizations
o Demonstrated Leadership skills
o Process Improvement Skills
o Strong communication skills
o Analytical skills
o Negotiation skills
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
Health and Safety
Posted 20 minutes ago
Health and Safety
Posted 20 minutes ago
Health and Safety
Posted 19 minutes ago