Lead Research Scientist for Education Translation
Information Trust Institute
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Information Trust Institute at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Lead Research Scientist for Education Translation. The Lead Research Scientist for Educational Translation will develop and execute research in resilient computing for cyber and cyber-physical systems and develop means of offering critical infrastructure focused security research programs for universities. This role will be a combination of active research activities and creative translation of research into innovative university educational programs, with an emphasis on the technology to offer this instruction remotely while still providing hands-on experience.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Research Activities
- Coordinate and conduct research that addresses securing the nation's critical infrastructure, developing technology and innovative ways to incorporate laboratory and test bed resources into research and educational activities.
- Create new solutions that incorporate research outcomes into educational material suitable for university-based education.
- Develop plans for self-sufficient research activities that leverage exist testbed utility.
- Lead or contribute to grant proposals submitted to potential government and industry sponsors, to execute original research in the area of cyber-physical systems security and resiliency.
- Create repeatable pathways that leverage ITI knowledge into residential and online content that can reach a broader audience while leveraging research outcomes.
- Create documentation, project reports, publications, presentations, and other written material to inform or convey deliverables and associated program details in support of sponsor requirements
- Other duties as assigned
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of ITI
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, education, or a related field
- Ten (10) years of experience in research activities related to networking and cyber-security.
- Experience conducting research and developing educational material related to trusted systems and security
- Experience with network security design, ICS network architecture, embedded devices, design of novel algorithms for cyber-system protection, e.g., authentication/validation techniques, communication protocols, detection and event correlation, isolation, recovery.
- Experience creating technical content for training or curriculum development
- Experience with computing testbeds tailored to critical infrastructures
- Master's degree in computer science, engineering or related field
- Prior applied software development experience to facilitate hands-on learning approaches
- Experience with online delivery mechanisms
- Experience project managing or facilitating assessment and adoption of educational material
- Training, Licenses or Certifications related to Instructional Design or E-Learning Course Design
Ideal candidates will possess the following:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to convey technical topics in a way that can be understood by wide audience
- Technical understanding of cyber security and its application
- Domain knowledge of Industrial Control Systems
- Strong presentation skills
The Lead Research Scientist for Education Translation position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The minimum salary is $140,000 and salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by July 5, 2022. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Kelsey Krok at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit "Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment."
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Lead Research Scientist for Education Translation - Information Trust Institute (160842)
Information Trust Institute