Network Specialist - 501516
Implements, documents, and supports secure campus networks, enterprise communication, collaboration, and productivity platforms, identity and access management infrastructure, and related technologies.
Communication, Collaboration, and Productivity Infrastructure
- Implements, documents, and supports a high performance and highly available wired and wireless network infrastructure:
- Implements network solutions by developing and applying device configurations, deploying devices in the field, verifying connectivity, and testing proper operation.
- Supports network infrastructure by ensuring that network management applications are configured for appropriate alerting, monitoring performance, making incremental configuration changes when required, and troubleshooting network device failures.
- Troubleshoots user connectivity problems on the wired and wireless networks:
- Accepts reports of user connectivity issues from the Help Desk while on call.
- Investigates issues using a variety of network and authentication monitoring tools to pinpoint the root cause.
- Solves connectivity problems and follows up with end users to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Supports secure remote VPN access to network resources.
- Administers the assignment of IP addresses network wide.
- Deploys and supports critical network infrastructure services such as DNS, DHCP, and PKI.
- Manages application delivery controllers for load-balanced and fault tolerant access to enterprise applications.
- Manages network firewall and intrusion detection/prevention systems:
- Develops and maintains device configurations as the network grows.
- Creates and deploys firewall rules as required for secure access to applications.
- Ensures that intrusion detection/prevention systems are kept up to date.
- Audits firewall rules to ensure that only business critical access is permitted.
- Manages alerts for intrusion detection/prevention events.
- Provides network support for system implementation and upgrade projects by consulting on security issues, assigning IP addresses, determining appropriate VLAN assignments, modifying firewall rules, and documenting application network flows.
Identity and Access Management Infrastructure
- Administers and supports cloud-based enterprise SaaS platforms including:
- Email and calendaring
- Shared storage
- Productivity apps
- Manages and supports systems that scan all inbound and outbound email messages for malware and spam content.
- Investigates and resolves email delivery issues by examining appropriate mail logs, message tracking logs, email message header information, and DNS MX records.
- Provides centralized mailing lists for group communication.
- Administers, configures, and troubleshoots the University's centralized computer account provisioning and credential synchronization system by examining application log files and database entries to resolve provisioning, de-provisioning, and enterprise role assignment issues.
- Supports enterprise network admission control by troubleshooting computer registration and VLAN assignment issues.
- Manages, configures, and troubleshoots enterprise authentication and authorization services: LDAP, RADIUS, Kerberos, Active Directory, and SAML/CAS.
- Creates and maintains Active Directory groups and configure permissions for standardized and secure access to resources.
- Creates, reviews, and maintains documentation related to all supported systems.
- Attends project, team, and departmental meetings, acting as project leader when required.
- Develops and maintains disaster recovery procedures and participates in an annual disaster recovery exercise.
- Remains current with technology through self-study and/or attendance at seminars or workshops.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- General knowledge of router and switch configuration and troubleshooting
- General knowledge of wireless access points and controller configuration and troubleshooting
- General knowledge of firewall, intrusion detection/prevention, and application delivery controller configuration and troubleshooting
- General knowledge of Identity and Access Management (IAM) system configuration and troubleshooting (Active Directory, LDAP, RADIUS)
- General knowledge of Microsoft Exchange Online administration
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows server system administration
- Working knowledge of Linux server system administration
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, focus and concentrate despite constant interruptions, deal with difficult and/or upset individuals, work under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Ability to learn new hardware and software independently
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems, provide guidance and instruction to customers, write clearly and concisely, interact with individuals of varying levels of expertise, and the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical users
- Ability to perform under limited supervision. Independent problem-solving ability is critical
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, organizational, and communication skills
- BA or BS in computer science or equivalent
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or similar, preferred
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Fundamentals, preferred
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator Associate, desirable
- 1+ years Windows and/or Linux server system administration
- 1+ years Microsoft Exchange Online
- 2+ years wireless networking (IEEE 802.11)
- 2+ years network routing and switching
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75 hrs./week; plus rotating 24x7 (approx. 1 week per month) on-call and off hours maintenance work, as required
Pay Grade 8 (Hiring Range $62,345.00 to $82,600 annually) COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
This job has expired.