GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under general supervision, the Patient Services Coordinator (PSC) I will be responsible for front desk duties/functions in our fast-paced outpatient clinic. This is an excellent position for someone looking to jumpstart a career in healthcare or for a seasoned professional with experience in a customer service driven industry.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Front Desk Responsibilities (75%)
The PSC I is responsible for greeting patients as they arrive for appointments as well as completing patient check-in and check-out processes in a timely manner. Specific tasks include:
- Verifies patient identity upon patient initial check in by using two patient identifiers
- Checks patient insurance type comparing what is listed in insurance card and what is listed in EPIC system. If there is a discrepancy, you must tell the patient to call the RRC line.
- Checks in patients by verifying demographic information, ensuring referral on record, and accuracy of clinical information.
- Collects patient co-payments.
- Arrives patient in EPIC.
- Moves patient in Ambulatory Patient Tracking system
- Verifies radiology orders at time of check-in, uploads external radiology disks, and copies radiology report, and sends patients directly to radiology if necessary
- Adds patient stickers to intake forms
- If patient brings in outside medical record, make photocopy and add to patient chart. Provide original copy back to patient.
Practice Operations (25%)
- Follow-up appointment is made for any location the patient is returning to (e.g. Boston, Danvers, Waltham).
- Confirms next appointment date and time with patient, and hands documentation of next visit (e.g. hand business with appointment date and location)
In addition to the check-in/check-out processes, the PSC I is responsible for additional administrative tasks in between front desk responsibilities as well as during light clinic days:Daily/Weekly Activities
Back-up Coverage and Miscellaneous Projects
- For add-on patients, prepares patient charts (Pre-Visit Summary, Assessment Sheet, Last Visit Note, MRI/CT Report if necessary, and New Patient Intake sheet if new patient)
- When prompted, PSC calls patients in advance of visit to let them know if clinic is running late
- Provides lunch coverage and ensures that at least one person is at the front desk at all times, so long as there are at least two people covering the desk. If there is only one person covering the desk, it is understandable that there may be no desk coverage during lunch.
- Maintains a clean and professional looking front-desk workspace (i.e. no personal items in view of patients)
- Answers phones and directs calls as appropriate
- Attends regular staff meetings
- Provides information to patients, visitors and Hospital personnel, observing Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures
- Performs all other duties that are practice specific and are appropriate to this level of position; this may include projects as assigned
SKILLS/ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: Competencies and Abilities
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to deal effectively with a diverse group of internal and/or external customers
- Can work well as a team player
- Maintains professionalism at all times
- Knowledge of basic word processing packages
- Basic computer skills necessary to use computerized scheduling/billing systems
- Good grammar and spelling
- Good organizational skills required to handle multiple tasks in busy environment
- Ability to problem solve and adapt to flexible work hours in a variety of divisions
- Ability to maintain customer service standards and work with minimal supervision
- Is able to function efficiently in a busy clinic setting
- Excellent communication between patient and clinic staff. If concern comes up, alerting clinical staff immediately rather than waiting until patient gets into exam room.
- Adheres to institutional & departmental procedures & codes of conduct
- Does not use cell phone during day at work unless related to job.
- Treats all team members with respect
- Keeps voice at a low level when having conversations at front desk, and does not entertain conversation with other team members in open patient space
- Conversations are professional and project professionalism
- Administrative experience in a health care setting preferred
- Epic expe
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
This job has expired.