If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Uses information obtained from interviews, tests, records, and reference materials to diagnose disorders. Utilizes a variety of treatment methods, such as psychotherapy, hypnosis, behavior modification, stress reduction therapy, psychodrama, and play therapy. Writes reports on clients and maintains required paperwork. Consults with or provides consultation to other doctors, therapists, and clinicians regarding patient care. Obtains and studies medical, psychological, social, and family histories by interviewing individuals, couples, and families. Evaluates the effectiveness of treatment and accuracy and completeness of diagnoses, modifying plans and diagnoses when appropriate. Selects, administers, scores, and interprets psychological tests to obtain information on individuals' intelligence, achievements, interests, and personalities. Observes individuals at play, in group interactions or in other contexts, to detect indications of mental deficiency, abnormal behavior or maladjustment. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
The candidate must be enrolled as an advanced graduate student in a clinical or counseling psychology program approved by the American Psychological Association. By the beginning of the internship, candidates should have their coursework completed. It is preferable that candidates have completed all major requirements and qualifying examinations for their degree and have only the dissertation requirement to meet when beginning the internship. The intern should have a reasonable certainty of being granted the
Doctorate within one year of starting the internship. Exceptions may be made for those universities who send students on their internship at an earlier level. All candidates should have a substantial amount of prior practicum supervision and other clinical experience. Applicants with strong clinical child, pediatric, or neuropsychology backgrounds are preferred.
This position is for a psychology intern who has been pre-selected through the APPIC matching service.
Please waiver any advertisements. Position is already filled by psychology interned matched through APPIC.
Attach required documents, organizational charts, resumes for waivers of postings, business justification forms, etc.
Ph.D. in relevant field required
Certification and Licensing:
Certification in relevant specialty or field required
No experience required
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
Department Specific Functions
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Commitment to the University's core values.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
The intern will also be expected to attend a weekly assessment and treatment seminar, a weekly professional development/Director's Meeting, and pediatric psychology rounds. A special series on ethics and another on multi-cultural issues are also required. Didactic sessions will focus on assessment, treatment, and professional development issues. Other seminars affiliated with the interdisciplinary training program (e.g., Interdisciplinary Web Course and Mailman Student-Faculty Conference) are also required
1. At least 75% of the intern's experience will be in child-related activities.
2. The internship will be structured so that each intern gains experience with a population diverse in terms of age, gender, socioeconomic background, ethnic origin, and presenting problems.
3. An individual education plan (IEP) will be developed for each intern at the beginning of the internship year and reviewed periodically throughout the year.
4. In accordance with the pediatric nature of the internship setting, all interns will be required to participate in at least one child health training rotation. Child health rotations include, but are not limited to: Adolescent Health Psychology; Cleft Palate Craniofacial Clinic, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Service; Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine Service; Neurodevelopment Program; Perinatal CARE Project.
5. In accordance with the assessment competencies, each intern will be expected to conduct a minimum of one assessment a month through PAS.
6. It is strongly encouraged that research be incorporated into the intern's training program. In this regard, up to 4 - 6 hours per week (1/2 day) will be set aside for an intern's research and professional activities.
7. Given the interdisciplinary nature of the Mailman Center, each intern will be required to participate in at least one major interdisciplinary training rotation during the internship year. Experience in interacting with professionals from other disciplines is viewed as a critical aspect of professional training, and one that is typically unavailable on a pre-internship level.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The following sections capture the physical demands and working environment that are required for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Working ConditionsEnvironmental DimensionNeverOccasionallyFrequentlyConstantly
Conditions of extreme heat or extreme cold
Equipment in motion
High noise levels
Exposure to TB
Exposure to Blood-borne Pathogens
Exposure to Radiant Energy
Outdoor/Exposed areasEquipment UsedEquipment UsedNeverOccasionallyFrequentlyConstantlyVehicle Type
Operate vehicles (Select Vehicle)
Use hand tools
Use power toolsPhysical RequirementsPhysical DimensionNeverOccasionallyFrequentlyConstantlyWeight
HandlingSensory RequirementsSensory DimensionNeverOccasionallyFrequentlyConstantlyVision Type
Use of keyboard or touchscreen
SmellingThe above statements are intended to describe the general nature and primary responsibilities of this job classification. Specific duties and tasks may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job. This a job profile description and not all duties may be assigned to a specific position in each individual department.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.