Great opportunity for Physician Assistant to work in a Multi-Specialty ICU. This 7-bed intensive state-of-the art unit provides multi-specialty, patient-centered care, focused on integrated expertise and operational excellence. This unit is the primary assignment for critically ill patients benefitting from multidisciplinary care. For example: complex surgical, neurologic and medical patients requiring Under the administrative direction of the Medical Director and Nursing Director of the Intensive Care Unit, the PA manages a wide spectrum of patients. Management includes, but is not limited to critical care interventions, intensive care monitoring, diagnosing and prescribing treatments, therapeutics, and medications, coordinating referrals and discharging patients from the ICU. In collaboration with a multidisciplinary care team, (s)he would be responsible for establishing, implementing and evaluating the ICU course of treatment and the coordination and communication of the treatment plan. The Physician Assistant will have a key role in patient and family teaching, while promoting competent, compassionate nursing care for patients and families. S(he) will serve as a role model for professional nursing practice.
Develops, implements and evaluates a program of specialized health care for a select patient population. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff and professional nurses toward continuity of patient care and efficient use of resources.
Provides direct care to a select patient population in collaboration with the physician.
- Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
- Utilizes advanced knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
- Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care.
- Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
- Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice guidelines.
- Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
- Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
- Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations
Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
- Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
- Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
- Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
- Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Collaborates with nurse managers, clinical nurses and medical staff to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
- Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
- Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
- Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
- Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
- Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
- Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
- Identifies own learning needs and goals.
- Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces
- Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
Valid Massachusetts PA license in good standingEEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.