500718 - The University of Richmond Police Department is currently recruiting for a full-time Police Officer (Virginia Certified Officers and Non-certified Applicants Welcome).
A sworn law enforcement position to provide law enforcement and crime prevention duties to include CLERY requirements for the University of Richmond within the University of Richmond Police Department.
All applicants who are currently Virginia certified through DCJS are required to take a Physical Agility Test. You will be notified of date/time and location of the testing.
Patrol/Crime Prevention/Community Policing
- Protects community and property of the University.
- Patrols campus.
- Responds to calls of service.
- Provides safety and security services to the University Community.
- Promotes a positive community relation in the performance of job duties.
- Enforces University rules and regulations.
- Provides non-police related services as needed.
- Willing to work overtime assignments when needed.
- The person in this position has been identified as a Campus Security Authority and Responsible Employee for Clery and Title IX purposes respectively, the employee will maintain current training and comply with the responsibilities of both titles.
- Enforces VA Criminal and Traffic Laws.
- Makes arrests.
- Testifies in court.
- Enforces parking violations.
- Provides mutual aid and assistance to other law enforcement agencies as requested.
- Conducts criminal investigations, if assigned.
- Collects and maintain evidence.
- Writes reports in a clear manner.
- Initiates administrative reporting process for student violations of University rules and regulations.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Attends department training to maintain required police standards.
Police officers possess a level of fitness and general health to perform physical tasks encountered on the job. These activities may include, but are not limited to: climbing obstacles, running after suspects, running up stairs, jumping over obstacles, lifting heavy objects or persons, subduing persons resisting arrest, and physically pushing movable objects. Officers are physically able to perform the duties and functions of a sworn police officer, carry and use protective equipment, and perform in all weather conditions.
Responds, if requested or needed, on weekends and/or nights as a function of this position. QUALIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Maintains all training standards and firearm requirements established by DCJS and URPD.
- Able to present to a wide variety of audiences regarding safety issues, and crime prevention topics. Demonstrates computer efficiency in Microsoft office and possesses effective communication skills.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing
- High School Diploma
- No experience required
- Virginia Certified Law Enforcement Officer preferred
- Experience could change depending on current need of the department
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- 12-hour shift, during a 24-hour day, 40 hours weekly, 7 day period
Pay Grade 5 COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
This job has expired.