Researcher/Strategist - REMOTE
Why you want to work at Flexion:
Flexion is looking for an empathetic, design-minded strategist who thrives at finding answers to business problems to join our Flexion team in supporting a large agile government initiative in the Maryland/Virginia/Washington DC area. This work will be done remotely. We are seeking someone who is both creative and intuitive in assessing problems and uncovering long term solutions.
At Flexion (an agile software company that's been delivering excellence for over 24 years), our company culture is built on autonomy, trust, and transparency. We empower teams to remain autonomous and self-directed by hiring people who can solve complex problems by functioning collaboratively-this means lending a hand and flexing your multi-skilled muscles (research, content, business analysis, information architecture, etc.) as needed. Every member within a cross-functional team is a leader who takes responsibility for the entire team's success, which mirrors the company's overall flat structure.
What the job looks like:
In this role, you'll use a start-up mentality to help determine the viability, impact, and value of many different kinds of digital product and service ideas within the federal government. This involves deep user and internet research, coupled with the ability to ask the right questions at the right time. You'll be assessing things like the overall reach of the ideas and who they would benefit, what similar efforts are already underway, where potential points of failure lie, etc. Then you'll create recommendations presented to the program management team about whether the project should move forward. You and the team would be tackling several of these ideas at a time, arriving at answers within weeks, not months.
You should be comfortable using both quantitative and qualitative methods to drive insights, remaining keenly aware of personal bias or assumptions. You can naturally connect the dots and determine patterns where others only see disparate information. In a fast-moving project, you can balance the need to go deep versus going wide, directing efforts where they are most effective and pivoting when necessary. You don't create documents and prototypes for the sake of producing them (though you're certainly adept in those skills); instead, you focus on efforts that move conversations forward. You should be comfortable with ambiguity (both in ideas and processes), but seek to clarify wherever possible.
Why we want to hire you:
- Lead research and strategy to vet new ideas for technology innovations and make recommendations about whether ideas should be pursued
- Establish strong working relationships and trust with various agency teams at all levels of government, navigating political landmines with tact and diplomacy
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience examining/synthesizing research and insight development
- Comfortable with creating, leading and delivering presentations
- Natural problem-solver and highly-collaborative
- Pair with other team members - designers, engineers, and strategists in real-time to solve problems
- Follow lean and agile methodologies to deliver quality with minimal churn
- A can-do attitude devoid of ego
- Experience using prototyping tools such as Invision, Sketch, Axure, Figma, etc.
- Experience using workflow and modeling tools such as OmniGraffle, Mural, LucidChart, etc
- Remote position, with some travel as needed to client sites or for testing
You can design small pieces as you go, while still thinking about how they fit into the whole. You welcome change as a positive thing (instead of viewing it as "rework") and never look at anything you deliver as "final." You understand when "good enough" really IS good enough, without ever compromising on the overall product quality. You've built different kinds of experiences, for different clients, with different technologies, and that variety suits you. You have:
At Flexion, we live by these principles:
- At least 7 years working on research, strategy, and/or ux for clients
- At least 2 years experience working with agile Scrum methodologies
- A bachelor's degree (or equivalent work experience)
- Strongly preferred: experience with government clients and a network of contacts across different government agencies
- Speak openly and honestly with your colleagues and clients about problems and proposed solutions
- Welcome and handle changing requirements and priorities with little or no warning
- Collaborate online in small groups about 50% of the time
- Encourage simple and minimal solutions that keep options open
- Expect and vocally advocate for quality first
- Learn new practices and techniques as the situation demands
- Ensure the teams develop demonstrable software every week or two
- Do what needs to be done to deliver the product or project without ego or attitude
- Dig deep to find the root causes of problems so we can create the right solutions
- Relentlessly improve yourself, your team, and your processes
The most efficient way to reach our recruiting team is to submit your resume through the URL provided. If you have questions or would like more information about this job posting or if you'd like to know more about Flexion Inc. in general, please contact Chris Giese at 608-205-8868.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 608-205-8868 for assistance.Job Location
811 E. Washington Ave., Suite 400, Madison, WIPosition Type
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 608-205-8868 for assistance.
This job has expired.