In Vivo Scientist/Senior Scientist, Oncology Research
Location: Gaithersburg, MD; Permanent
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers.
We are seeking a highly motivated and independent Scientist/Senior Scientist in cancer pharmacology with a track record of scientific excellence in the area of in vivo cancer modeling, to join our team in Gaithersburg, MD USA. As a Scientist/Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focused on delivering all aspects of in vivo pharmacology support. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise to establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on the drug discovery process and pipeline.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in this laboratory-based position within Oncology Research you will develop, design, conduct and analyze both in vivo and in vitro experiments to assess the function of our candidate oncology drugs and dissect the mechanism of action of novel cancer therapeutics. You will be expected to support cross-functional teams and work collaboratively with project leaders to ensure the timely generation, and dissemination of critical program data, and contribute to scientific publication goals. As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong background in laboratory science you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumor biology, pharmacology and cancer modeling and have a genuine passion for this field of research.
• MS (>5 years of experience in Biopharma) or PhD in Cancer Biology, Pharmacology.
• Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience preferred but not essential.
• Experience developing and working with complex in vivo models, such as xenograft, patient derived xenograft (PDX), syngeneic and autochthonous mouse models.
• Experience delivering in vivo pharmacology studies in mouse tumor models, including dose-finding tolerability studies, PK/PD and efficacy studies.
• Experience with a range of in vitro skills, e.g. cell culture, molecular biology, immunoblotting, flow cytometry and ELISA.
• Works independently, assesses and reports data in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery.
• Maintains a well-developed understanding of approaches to drug discovery and applies a broader functional knowledge of the procedures used by diverse project groups to support the department where needed.
• Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills together with evidence of delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• A proven track record of high productivity and scientific publications in peer reviewed journals.
• Experience with orthotopic xenograft and humanized models of cancer.
• Experience using biologics including, peptides, antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates and oncolytic viruses.
• Experience designing, conducting and analyzing multi-spectral flow cytometry immune-phenotyping studies.
• Knowledge of the Industrial drug discovery process.
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!