The Center for Comparative Medicine is looking for a Senior Veterinary Technologist to provide the same health surveillance, compliance, training and research support services as a Veterinary Technologist, with minimal direction by a manager. Additional responsibilities include training of veterinary technologists new to their role, maintenance of schedules for services requested of veterinary team, maintenance of veterinary team training records and representation of CCM Veterinary Services department in various Continuous Improvement and departmental business initiatives. The Senior Veterinary Technologist works in a team environment following Lean Management principles and participates in continuous improvement projects. This position involves daily exposure to laboratory animals, their waste products, and possibly chemical agents, radioactive isotopes and ABSL2 hazards. Alternate workshift or after hours, rotating weekend and holiday work may be required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Following Duties are performed daily with minimal supervision:
- Able to perform all duties and responsibilities of a Veterinary Technologist:
- Animal Health Assessment
- Research Protocol familiarity
- Research Support Services
- Colony Health Monitoring
- Lean Management Practices
- Ordering and receiving facility supplies, monitoring material replenishment systems
- Assist in the creation, validation and maintenance of visual controls and SOPs
- Comply with CCM and BWH policies and SOPs
- Work holiday and weekends as assigned, and after hours, as needed
- Assist Veterinarians and managers with training new CCM Veterinary Technologist hires.
- Responsible for Veterinary Services participation in any support services for which CCM has been contracted
- Coordinate schedules for the Veterinary team's participation in such projects
- Help lead the veterinary technician team in cross-functional efforts to provide support for all aspects of veterinary services.
- Champion and participate in Process Improvement Initiatives and Teams within the department.
- Other duties as assigned
• Associate Degree or higher in Veterinary Technology, Animal Science or a related field.
• LATg or CVT.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience as laboratory animal veterinary technologist level or equivalent experience.
SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to function in a team-oriented environment, with individuals from diverse backgrounds who have varying degrees of scientific and veterinary knowledge or skills.
• Proficient in verbal and written English and Mathematics pertinent to the duties of this position and situations encountered in the animal facility.
• Ability to lift and move 50 lbs on a regular basis
• Long periods of standing
• Has a customer-focused attitude and enjoys working collaboratively with similarly dedicated persons in a team fashion within a high-energy research environment.
• Basic computer skills including email and Microsoft Outlook.
The animal facility has a variety of environmental conditions. Specifically, employees may be exposed to noise, dust, chemicals, extreme heat, and animal waste products. The duration of exposure to any of the above is dependent on the assigned duties. Some aspects of this position may expose the incumbent to zoonotic diseases. Appropriate protective clothing and equipment may be required and will be provided, accompanied by appropriate training and medical clearance. This position may also expose the employee to animals treated with chemical hazards, radioactive dyes and other induced conditions as part of approved protocols. Employees are expected to conduct all work in a safe manner that includes maintaining knowledge of animal handling techniques consistent with the condition of the animal, protocol, regulations and department policy, including radioactive treatments and bodily fluids.EEO Statement
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.