Job Summary: Hands-on Engineer responsible for developing firmware for embedded MCU's used in electrical (pcba based) / mechanical products. This person would work with a small team of mechanical, electrical, motor and manufacturing engineers to bring the new product though its full product development process, which includes early concept thru production support. The candidate would be responsible for the firmware development, and would regularly work with the group's Sr Electrical Engineer for testing and debugging of the system under development. The Sr Embedded Firmware Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the product's firmware meets the functional and performance requirements, while working with the team to deliver on schedule and on budget.
Job Location: Torrington, CT
Reports To: Director of the Torrington, CT Design Center
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide embedded software solutions for Boyd products that are robust and reliable, targeting zero defects at the time of product launch.
- Ensure safety in all work, following safety procedures and bringing any safety issues up with management.
- Follow established procedures; drive continuous improvement and update procedures applicable to your area as necessary.
- Hands on Engineer who must be the go to person in the organization on embedded systems. Responsible for architecting an embedded control system from initial concepts, working with an EE to develop the schematic(s), developing the firmware and system testing.
- Provide product support from early concept, through product development and throughout production.
The following are some typical design related activities that the candidate would be responsible for:
- Work with customer's engineering team to understand their needs / requirements, work with the customer to help them understand system options / tradeoffs.
- Drive firmware related design reviews, brainstorming activities; DFMEA's; risk assessments. Support similar overall product activities.
- Analyze design options, test data, provide recommendations, choose direction
- Strong emphasis placed on the team working together to find product design's appropriate balance of cost, reliability, manufacturability and product performance
- Develop, perform & drive related product qualification test activity
- Support failure and root cause analysis of prototype and production level products
- Candidate would interact with other Boyd product team members globally, as most programs require use of global resources within Boyd.
- Travel - limited. Typically less than 5% per year. Domestic and International travel is possible.
- Education - BSEE or BSCS minimum. Willing to consider other similar education if substantial experience is impressive and directly applicable.
- 10+ Years of hands on experience developing firmware for embedded MCUs from concept through production; hands on programming, testing, troubleshooting / debugging.
- 5+ Years of hands on experience designing MCU based system architectures
- Working experience with low speed serial communications, i.e. RS-232, I2C
Working knowledge of engineering tools:
- Cross development tools for embedded MCUs
- Knowledgeable / experienced in working with mixed signal oscilloscopes, DVMs etc.
- Experience in designing for real world variations, tolerance stack analysis
- Solid understanding of total system testing, debugging, manufacturing, low cost, high quality & reliability
- Able to work independently and prioritize work based on the candidates understanding of the given overall project requirements as well as other projects within the organization
- Good experience and skills in technical problem solving, analyzing system risk, identifying options, making recommendations
- Daily use of Microsoft Office software
- Experience / Knowledge with electro-mechanical systems a major plus.
- Experience / Knowledge with Brushless DC motor drives a major plus.
The physical demands required in this position are typical of an office & laboratory environment, and are representative of those of an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties, the employee is regularly required to hear, talk, stand, walk and sit. Work is primarily performed indoors. Occasional auto or air travel is required.
This job has expired.