Veolia Group aims to be the benchmark company for ecological transformation. With nearly 220,000 employees worldwide, the Group designs and provides game-changing solutions that are both useful and practical for water, waste and energy management. Through its three complementary business activities, Veolia helps to develop access to resources, preserve available resources and replenish them. In 2021, the Veolia group provided 79 million inhabitants with drinking water and 61 million with sanitation, produced nearly 48 million megawatt hours and recovered 48 million tonnes of waste. Veolia Environnement (Paris Euronext: VIE) achieved consolidated revenue of 28,508 billion euros in 2021. www.veolia.com
- Plans, organizes and manages the daily operation, maintenance and testing of large / complex water and/or wastewater systems, public works and or multi-sites. Assures its compliance with established environmental, safety, operating, and emergency response procedures. Maintains ongoing client interface to keep client informed and enhance client relations.
Primary Duties / Responsibilities
- Manages the daily operation and maintenance of a water and wastewater system and ensures compliance with operational, QA/QC, safety, environmental, and performance metrics. Typically works through Operations, Maintenance and/or Lab Supervisors to ensure that plant resources are being utilized to achieve project objectives. Teaches cost control and provides effective counsel / direction, especially where corrective actions are needed.
- Manages the human resource functions of the facility or unit including hiring and firing, salary and job change actions, and coaching and counseling team. Works with the HSE and training team to ensure that all personnel receive safety and process training. Coaches and counsels managers, supervisors and leads to improve technical skills, supervisory, interpersonal and problem resolution skills. Works to identify and provide opportunities for the team to learn new skills and techniques. Administers labor agreements to ensure compliance and effectively deal with representative labor union(s).
- Reviews and evaluates water reports, records, logs, and graphs to confirm adequacy of present and projected water needs. Ensures that uniform monitoring and recordkeeping are performed facility-wide. Prepares reports concerned with chemical and bacteriological analyses of water for administrative purposes and regulatory agencies.
- Administers client contracts to ensure compliance and customer satisfaction and prompt identification and client notification of scope changes.
- Performs all baseline client relations duties, including preparation and presentation of progress and special reports.
- Participates in client meetings, special award programs and handles resolution of client service problems in a professional manner.
- Assists with the preparation and/or review of reports to regulatory agencies and assists with public relations duties as necessary.
- Develops site objectives in conjunction with Area Manager and assists managers and supervisors in developing goals and activities in their respective areas in order to meet overall business objectives. Establishes the standards, guidelines and objective measures to monitor progress. Regularly identifies, evaluates and implements improvements to improve utility reliability, regulatory compliance and/or cost effectiveness.
- Actively seeks new work scope with both existing client(s) and in the surrounding area with new clients.
- Evaluates employee performance, matches abilities and job requirements and capitalizes on talents to effectively meet business objectives. Ensures that business initiatives and progress toward goals are effectively communicated to employees.
- Proactively manages safety, plant appearance and environmental issues and ensures compliance with Federal and State standards including Hazardous Waste Disposal and Air Quality Standards. Ensures that issues are identified and addressed and elevated if necessary in a timely manner.
- Maintains an up-to-date plan of action to be taken in event of emergencies such as machinery, equipment or power failure, or need to release dammed water to affect flood control. Manages emergencies in an effective manner.
- Executes capital and facility improvement plans as required.
- May oversee construction and maintenance of roads and communication lines used in operating water supply systems. Oversees contractors as required.
Education / Experience / Background
- High school diploma or equivalent, B.S. in Engineering is a plus.
- At least seven years progressive management experience within a water /wastewater treatment environment with thorough knowledge of the methods, techniques, principles, and practices of water/wastewater treatment, water distribution and wastewater collection. Supervisory experience of 10 or more employees is highly desirable. Internal management experience preferred.
- Lab experience for permit testing requirements.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership ability and ability to effectively manage resources (personnel, equipment, materials, facilities, funds and reputation).
- Thorough knowledge of Process / Operations Management, QA/QC procedures, Safety, Environmental and Facilities / Capital Equipment Management with expertise in more than one area of general knowledge requirements.
- Ingenuity and initiative are required to coordinate problem resolution, resolve conflicting priorities and to meet assignment deadlines within a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose complex process problems and manage remedial action.
- Demonstrated knowledge of budget preparation and cost control and have the ability to forecast budget, staffing and equipment needs.
- Demonstrated effective communication, presentation and interpersonal skills in order to interface with and motivate all levels of personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate, effective, complete and easily understood written communications and reports.
- Strong PC skills with proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and database software and the ability to optimize the use of technology and systems to communicate, manage budget and to streamline processes and increase efficiency. Familiarity with maintenance, operation, regulatory reporting and cost estimating software.
- Proficiency in the care and use of all site specific, facility required PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
- Demonstrated commitment to compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Company's Code of Business Conduct and other Company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if required by site.
Required Certification / Licenses / Training
- Highest level of certification as a water/wastewater operator required by site. If from another state, must achieve certification within one year of appointment to Plant Operations Manager.
- Valid Driver's license and safe driving record.
- HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) Level I and II certification if required by site.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
- Work Environment: Spends 50% of time in the operations environment and 50% of time in the office environment. May need to work outside in inclement weather conditions and drive a company vehicle to perform duties. Occasional travel for training or meetings.
- Possible Work Hazards: May be exposed to possible operations hazards including dust, fumes, toxic and caustic chemicals, rotating machinery, high pressure, hot or cold work temperatures, slippery surfaces, water and electrical hazards.
- Physical Demands: Amount of time spent - Standing 25%, Sitting 50%, Walking 25%
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch and enter confined spaces. May be required to use ladders or stairs. May occasionally be required to lift 50 to 60 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
A subsidiary of Veolia group, Veolia North America (VNA) offers a full spectrum of water, waste and energy management services, including water and wastewater treatment, commercial and hazardous waste collection and disposal, energy consulting and resource recovery. VNA helps commercial, industrial, healthcare, higher education and municipality customers throughout North America. Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Veolia North America has more than 10,000 employees working at more than 350 locations across the continent.