There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM's global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
About the role:
The Workday IT Team recently implemented a global deployment of Workday Human Capital Management (HCM) including the modules Core HCM, Benefits, Absence, Compensation, Advanced Compensation, Recruiting and Talent to 31 countries and 160,000 employees and contingent workers. The team is now working closely with the HR organization to deliver the next level of service by maximizing the use of these modules and taking on significant new requirements as we help re-shape GM into a Technology company. The Workday Solution Architect is a well-rounded senior position responsible for overseeing the end to end design, integration and deployment of Workday solutions to meet current and future needs complying with technology, security and compliance requirements.
This position is the perfect mix of strategic thought leadership for the future HR needs leveraging Workday HCM, along with the project execution technical decisions of what should be done in Workday and what must be solution outside of Workday HCM. Partnering with the HR leadership this position works to influence Workday's product direction to meet GM's long and short-term needs. It also leads Proof of Concepts to prove out Workday capabilities of future IT Portfolio needs and newer Workday technologies.
Additional Job Description
- IT Application owner of GM's Workday implementation, and the person ultimately responsible to ensure the application supports the required HR business processes and complies with Corporate and IT Security and Privacy controls, SOX Controls, and Litigation and ILM Controls.
- Create future vision HCM architecture to expedite delivery of new solutions and services to market while meeting company's cost and risk reduction objectives. Coordinate with the Workday subject matter experts on the IT and Business teams to explore options and bring forth the best possible solutions.
- Review current and future vision Workday offerings, including traceability from business and IT strategies to suggested Workday solutions.
- Coordinate with architects and business experts across multiple verticals to translate key strategic objectives into actionable and governable roadmaps and designs.
- Analyze business and technology challenges on competing vendor offerings, assess costs, and suggest solutions.
- Design and execute proofs-of-concept for critical HCM capabilities, including building business case with costs, benefits, and efficiency measures.
- Translate business requirements into systems qualities and repeatable design strategies and patterns, such as adaptability, scalability, availability, and reusability.
- Work with the HCM Integration Architect to develop integration strategies by selecting tools, specifying shared data and code resources, defining interfaces and dataflows, and guiding development.
- Perform recurring reviews across multiple teams, including vendor collaboration, and collect key platform metrics to assure continuous improvement.
- Conduct evolution planning for key business strategies, and influence business roadmap and portfolio alignment.
- Drive all aspects of Architecture delivery, including ARB, alignment with IT Security standards, and Operational improvements.
- Be knowledgeable on Workday hosting operations and the security controls they have in place to protect GM employee and contractor data. Work with the GM IT Enterprise Security team to keep abreast of evolving security considerations for third-party SaaS providers. Review and be familiar with the Independent Security reports made available by Workday, along with SOC (System and Organizational Controls) Reports.
- Lead and participate in troubleshooting application incidents, resolving deployment issues, application ownership of specific tools and solutions, integration failures, ability to mine the logs, coordinate cross functional triage and provide long term implementation guidance.
- Become a trusted partner and advisor to the HR Business leadership.
- Bachelor's degree in IT related discipline, Masters preferred
- 15 years or more experience developing/deploying IT systems in a professional/corporate environment
- 5 years or more in Human Capital Management system development, Workday preferred.
- 5 years or more implementing in architectures using REST, SOAP, Webservices, COTS solutions
- Experience implementing security and identity solutions using Encryptions, SAML, SSO etc.
- Strong HR business domain knowledge preferred.
- Hands on experience in troubleshooting, configuring software, debugging
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.